Monday, July 25, 2005

Reader, I Didn't Date Him...

...however perhaps maybe I should have, because Stephanie Klein certainly has and is now reaping the benefits of her failed relationships. In a recent NYT article that has ruined me forever and what I think about the outlook of my future career as a writer (bleak) and where the publishing industry is heading (toilet), I discovered that people are more than willing to air the dirty laundry of their lives, the lights with the darks, out in the open for all the world to see.

This apparently 28-year old fabulous and single Carrie Bradshaw wannabe has made every specific, little detail of her dating life public and now has a book deal and a TV sitcom to show for it.

She grapples with how to deal with men. One great (cough) post called "Red Zone" she talks about her temper: "It’s the ugliest part of me, the way I allow myself to behave when I’m insecure, like a petulant child, red faces, stomping, dripping in wear and mucus." Ummm hello, no wonder you’re still single, Steph. Get it together.

Her avid following of readers really care about her, they read every day to see how her previous nights date went. They ask how the goofy guy ended up working out that they spotted her with in Midtown. They want to know if the mini-burger date produced more than just a satisfying meal- but a potential boyfriend as well. One reader said it was like following a character in a book.

Now I realize I’m a bit of a hypocrite bashing a blog in a post of my own blog, but that’s really neither here nor there. All I know is that hers is becoming a book. And if what Stephanie says is true, that if you’re just honest you can’t be boring, and everyone’s life is a story- then maybe books will become obsolete. Are blogs are the new books? Are blogs are the future? Scary thought.

So with all of these people all over New York and the country living vicariously through Stephanie Klein, I wonder what they themselves were up to Friday night. Hopefully not inside catching up on the latest Greek Tragedy drama. While her book, "Straight Up and Dirty" is probably destined to be a best seller, (after which I will promptly kill myself), I have to hope that deep down the public realizes the truth: that there are only so many good books you can make out of commentaries about bad dates and bad men and even worse writing.

And anyway, after Straight Up and Dirty there was Dirty Water-and we all know, book deal or not, who comes out on top.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home