Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Try This On For Size

Men never cease to amaze me. And usually not in a good way. I wore a skirt to work today in an attempt to stay fashionable, look professional and maintain my status as Classy Girl. However, in case you haven’t been outside today or in case you’re not currently in Boston, it’s a pretty windy day out. I’ve come across this problem many times before, as I wear skirts a lot and without fail, the wind gets the best of me. It’s not a great feeling walking on the sidewalk in front of the John Hancock building where the yuppie khaki and blue shirt brigade flocks and your skirt flies up over your eyes, impeding your vision.

I’ve been told I have a certain strut when I walk, I walk with a purpose, I am after all, from New York. However, when the sneaky wind tunnels of Boston take you by surprise you look neither cool nor put together. You just get stared at and laughed at and then gross men say things to you that are not appropriate to repeat here.

Then there are the intermittent groups of construction workers who always seem to be hanging around in large groups. All looking menacing with sunglasses and hard hats, and when I see them up ahead I know it’s going to be embarrassing and horrible and I mentally prepare myself for the humiliation that is to come.

Men in cars are just as bad. On Monday a man who was driving a white van shouted something offensive and vulgar about my chest that rhymed with P. Diddy, however had nothing whatsoever, to do with rap.

Today while walking down St. James on the way back from my lunch break with Kinsey, while holding down my American Apparel T-shirt skirt like I was bracing myself for the apocalypse, a man in a power blue ‘94 Ford Taurus shouted out the window, “Come on! Just let it go!” Kinsey almost fell into the street he was laughing so hard, and I, while laughing at the man’s stupidity, couldn’t help but think: what are you thinking?

Men, what are you thinking?! Don’t answer that. I mean yes, while most of the men who make these comments are gross and perverted, shouting, from all things, a white unmarked van. However doesn’t it really speak to the male sex in general? What would that man have done had I really let go? Probably slam on the breaks forcing me to drop my Kate Spade in the street and run back to the office. “Just leave it!” Kinsey would shout. “There’s no time! Go on without me!”

Was I supposed to ask for his number as he sped away laughing with the other dirty man he was driving with? What are these men hoping to achieve? I guess nothing. I guess I’m giving them too much credit in thinking there is actually some sort of thought process behind this caveman-like behavior.

But I guess there’s no escaping it. Men manage to do this in different capacities in different environments all the time. From campus to bars to the gym, they’re always there to look, comment and critique. If, for one day, all the men had to wear skirts, perhaps they’d be a little more understanding to the plight of the stylish woman.

So this a call to men everywhere: keep both eyes on the road and stop hiding like cowards behind your pants.

1 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh we'll have to face those comments the rest of our lives hun. Guys are ridiculous and think it's cool to shout crude things from cars. There is no proper way of looking cool in a skirt in a wind tunnel. Only happens in modeling commercials where the wind just magically keeps the skirt in place so they can give their sexy look to the camera.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home