Monday, September 26, 2005

Hubbell and the Uniform

It’s official. Fall is here.

Saturday night I broke out the uniform for the first time this year before we all went out to some bars for Diva Girls birthday celebration. We made a huge night of it and I don’t think I got to sleep until around 3:30AM. For those of you who don’t know about "the uniform" it’s basically what I end up wearing every day when the weather gets cold. Black turtle neck sweater and jeans. It was just a week ago that I said to Diva Girl: "Everything feels wrong, I can’t wait until I can wear the uniform, then everything will be right again."

So yes, I went to a bar with a turtle neck. This is why I am single.

Regardless, Saturday was the Beantown Jazz Festival and I ventured down there later in the day to see what was up. Columbus Ave was packed with people and great music. I stood alone and listened to one band that was more like r&b jam band than the old school jazz I like, however they were really talented and I planted myself near them for a while. I was fortunate enough to have a roughly 40 year old Jamaican guy named Dennis come up to me (he was a close talker) and hit on me. What is it with guys and jazz anyway? We talked about jazz for a while until he asked for my number, which I gave to him because I felt bad and am not used to people asking for my number so I wasn’t prepared with lies or a fake. And anyway, I think fakes are somewhat callous.

Let’s hope he doesn’t call.

In other news, spent the last week writing a 1500 word essay for the Vanity Fair essay contest. I sent it in today, finally letting go of my previous week long labor of love (hate). If I possibly win (yeah right) I’d get $15,000 and a week long writer’s retreat in Tuscany. I know, hang on just a minute while I attempt to get my head out of the clouds.

Saturday night Sweet Girl and I drank wine and watched The Way We Were with Redford and Streisand before we went out. Boy, isn’t that movie (and by movie, I mean Hubbell) great? She (Katie) is a crazy, passionate, political independent that no one understands. He (Hubbell) is a beautiful know-it-all that every woman wants and to whom life comes too easy.

I really hate Hubbell...but love him at the same time. Maybe it’s because I find myself identifying with Katie. Which reminds me, I need to get some more black turtle neck sweaters.

Also: International Girl has left us again for Germany. I hate her too, but love her at the same time. However that’s just because she’s awesome and I’m really going to miss her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home