Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Geography and Brian Wilson

I remember a long time ago when everything seemed to make sense. When the last of the warm summer nights were spent in my back yard in upstate New York, looking up to the stars (which my older sister informed me were really teeth taken by the tooth fairy, hers of course being the brightest) and wondering where I'd be when I was older. And older then came to mean what is younger now. Time's a funny thing. The shifting of the seasons can be as palpable as the shifting of the earth in an earthquake, yet most of the time, we fail to notice it. Curly (aka 'lil fro) moved out yesterday and I can't help but feel sadness over the intense realization brought about by her departure- that time has been passing, it is currently, and we’re growing up.

Walking to work yesterday morning after hugging her goodbye, (glad that I at least didn’t have to be there as she got in her car and drove away for good), I couldn't help but think about how the end of college is a strange thing. How everyone is everywhere and no one knows where they'll end up. How 24 Symphony won't be the same without her. How friendships are like a good bottle of Glenlivet: they're difficult to find and at times can cost more than you’d like, however they only get better with time.

Kinsey left as well, leaving Boston mere hours after Curly, making yesterday a horrible day, and at the end of it I couldn't help but feel an overwhelming sense of abandonment. Germany will be claiming International Girl in a few weeks as well, and then the group will have officially been split. Growing up making its first of many unstoppable entries on the endless page of the change checklist.

Did I mention that hate Germany? Germany and geography. I hate that geography never took the time to learn about how things are supposed to work. It has an uncanny ability of taking people I care about far away, and keeping thousands I don't even know close by.

It was the Beach Boys who said, “…if you should ever leave me, though life would still go on believe me, the world could show nothing to me. So what good would living do me? God only knows what I’d be without you.”

Well, Brian Wilson has a point (could you doubt it?), albeit a little dramatic. Growing up shows us that life does indeed go on. People come and go on their paths to figure out what they want, but that doesn’t necessarily signify the end- thanks to modern technology you can take comfort in the fact that they’re just a phone call away.

And you don’t even need any help from Rhonda.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home