Sunday, October 16, 2005

"And now the weather..."

When I said I’d take a few days off from running, I meant a few days. But this is getting ridiculous. The rain that has come down in a steady hum for the past 10 days is supposed to end this week. As per usual I’m assuming the weatherman, ahem, weatherperson, is correct (read: I will be bringing my umbrella to work tomorrow).

At work on Friday night, (job one of two) a drunk man on his way out asked me while putting on his coat (it was still raining, naturally) "are you working?" I blinked, thinking the answer was quite obvious. I decided to humor him by simply saying "I’m working on figuring out my future." He thought about that seriously for a moment and then asked, "how did you get to be so pretty?" I blinked again and told him I didn’t know that I was, to which he shook his head and responded, "shame."

I showed him and his wife to the front door and told them I hoped they’d come again.

Working at a restaurant is interesting. People are there for all sorts of reasons. Business dinners, catching up with old friends, birthday celebrations, the chance to be at the hot-new-place in order for people to see you eating at the hot-new-place spending an obscene amount of money on pasta, wine and chocolate mousse. Mostly they’re dates. Couples sitting together with the small candle illuminating their menus and faces and as I watch them I smile and can’t remember the last time I was in their seat. Amidst the overwhelming smell of cheap cologne and expensive perfume I can tell when another woman has fallen in love. She excuses herself from the table, leaving her steamed artichoke exposed near the heart, the discarded leaves with teeth indentations still sitting just off to the side, neatly stacked.

With the onset of the cold weather I’m wanting more and more to replace coffee with vodka.

1 Comments:

At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

vodka? great idea. i might look into that myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home