Thursday, November 03, 2005

I'm So Over...

"The Way I See It" on Starbuck’s coffee cups. I’m especially over #61. "Imagine we are all the same. Imagine we agree about politics, religion and morality. Imagine we like the same types of music, art, food and coffee. Imagine we all look alike. Sound boring?"

No. Sounds like a typical morning at Starbucks. Perhaps they should stop preaching on their cups of overpriced coffee with this holier-than-thou ad campaign and just let me enjoy my grande bold in peace.

We are all the same. We’re all in the same place needing this drug to get through our days. We agree that the only outlet to learn about politics is the NYT, and depending on where you are, perhaps one other local newspaper. Our religion is our coffee and we practice it as faithfully as anyone can, almost genuflecting when it’s our turn to order. We give it our daily attention and our hard earned money, not even looking at the price anymore as we have given in, sleepily handing over our debit cards, sigh, scan, wait, listen, would you like your receipt? look of horror, proof?! never.

Our morality is: if its been left on the bar, unclaimed by whomever’s name is written incorrectly and illegibly on the side of the cup in black permanent marker, for longer than five minutes, it’s up for grabs.

We like Coldplay, Dylan and Alanis (apparently more now that she has gone acoustic). We like local artists’ photography that is preferably in black and white, promoted shamelessly and is grossly overpriced. We like cinnamon scones and plain bagels and blueberry muffins and we all look like we’re over-worked and under-paid, and not getting enough sleep or happiness, enough dates, love, credit, passion, reality tv, truth, goodmovies,goodbooksgoodsex.

The way I see it, (#62, say) is that if I wanted to learn (as if it’s a thing one can ‘learn’) about diversity, I wouldn’t want to educate myself about it from a non-recyclable paper cup, warming me, careful! the beverage I’m about to enjoy is extremely hot, from a place whose corporate corruptness of marketing to the monotonous masses has taken over, not only the world, but apparently how we should see it as well.




This is the author’s opinion, not necessarily that of Starbucks.


2 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew I was missing out on so much just cause I use a Dunkin Donuts drive thru every morning.

I always figured there would be better lessons on the bottom of a Cider Jack 6 pack than on my coffee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home